Friday 7 February 2014

Music Magazine: Making The Front Cover

After looking at my two potential front cover picture, I chose to go with Sam as not only is he the one who did the interview photo shoot but I think his picture will look best. I started off by cropping the chosen picture of Sam to be a head-shoot and then Photoshopped him to look better. This was essential as all main images of magazines look flawless and are most likely Photoshopped.


The beginning photo. ^


The cropped and edited photo. ^ (I edited the image so the brick background was a separate layer from Sam so that I could put the masthead behind Sam's head as this is something many established magazines do and I want mine to look authentic)

I then started off by adding in my title 'DIVERSE' to the top of the image. I left a small space above it so I could fit in text above. I also put it behind Sam's head, but you can still read what it says.


 I then put in a red box across the top to give the page some colour. Then I put text on top. I put this in white as it contrast the red nicely and stands out. I used the formal font from my research for this text.


I then added a black box at the bottom of the page and then added the text on top. I made this unique by using the bands actual official fonts for their names. I also used the formal font for the 'PLUS!' so that it didn't take the attention away from the band fonts.



 The next step was adding in the bar code, date and website. I made a white box and then put an image of a bar code, then wrote the text in. I merged these layers together to create a compact, neat box and then put it vertical as I was inspired to from a magazine I had researched and also I think it looks better this way.


 I then added in my anchorage title and the sell line that went along with that. I placed these across Sam so that the audience would know that it was to go with the main image. I put the anchorage in red as to add more colour to the page as it seemed like it was lacking. When I tried the sell line in red, it looked too much. I also put a white outer glow on the anchorage title and a black stroke around the sell line to make them stand out even more.


The page looked a little bare so I added in another sell line in the empty space next to Sam's head. I typed this to fit well into the space so it wouldn't overlap Sam so that the audience know that that particular sell line isn't in relation to the main image. After I had done this, my magazine was complete.



No comments:

Post a Comment